- put the grounds in without a filter.
- forgotten to grind the beans.
- poured cold water over the grounds (we have an old-fashioned thingy where you pour the boiling water over the grounds yourself).
- forgotten to put water in the electric coffee maker.
- forgotten to put grounds in the electric coffee maker.
- knocked over the freshly brewed coffee (this is particularly traumatic).
- knocked over the grounds before brewing the coffee (this is really awful because cleaining up coffee grounds is miserable at any time, but it is exceptionally miserable when one is undercaffeinated).
- successfully brewed the coffee but then lost it before having a chance to drink it (I did this just this past weekend - I finally found the coffee the next day in the microwave).
* I've reduced the frequency of this scenario by brewing a cup of coffee each night, placing it on my bedside table, and then drinking it in the morning before I get out of bed. There are days, however, when even this is not a sufficient remedy.