Thursday, June 30, 2005

I Have a Confession



I have a demitasse collection. I have joked before that I am the only heterosexual male in the country with one, and while this is almost certainly not literally true we can't be a large group (Googling heterosexual male demitasse collector reveals nothing).

The collection started with a few cups I inherited from my family. Over the years I have added a few more, but their ranks have swelled principally due to the kindness of my friends and family. Now I have somewhere in the neighborhood of fifty.

They sit on the plate shelf running around our dining room. After dinner parties, guests choose their own cup for coffee. Each cup is different, and it's always interesting to see what people choose. Some choose big cups. Some choose small. Some choose floral, Victorian confections, others minimalist Japanese thimbles. Someone frequently chooses the Will Rogers Memorial cup.

They're beautiful, and I refuse to be ashamed any more. I'm demitasse-loud and demitasse-proud! I am a demitasse collector. Hear me roar!

2 comments:

  1. You have chosen wisely. I went in for shake-ups - scenes of foreign places with fake snow. Some of them were quite beautifully detailed, and some had fun moving parts. But, aside from the clutter, the collection had to go, because shake-ups are never water-tight, and eventually the half-empty plastic domes take on a decidedly sordid look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:15 AM

    You've got like 50 of them now, wow, that is a nice size collection! Thats right..stand up, beat your chest and roar:-) Be proud. I love how you let the guests choose their own coffee cup.

    Great illustration!

    Pat
    http://pat.typepad.com/just_pat

    ReplyDelete