Thursday, July 28, 2005

My Left Foot

I was riding on the bus (this was not recently - for better or worse it's been a while since I've taken the bus). Sitting across from me was an elderly man whose left foot had been amputated just above the ankle. On his right foot was, not surprisingly, a shoe. In his lap was, surprisingly, the other shoe.

This situation puzzled me. I pondered it for the entire twenty minutes I sat across from him. What was he doing? Where was he going? Was he disoriented? Was he keeping it as a memento?

Finally we reached his stop. He lopsidedly hobbled off the bus, still holding the spare shoe, crossed a parking lot, and entered... a prosthetics store.*

Ah.

Note: I recalled this story after stumbling upon this much more disturbing story about a missing foot.

* Somehow "prosthetics store" doesn't sound quite right. What do you call it? "Prosthetics clinic"? "Prosthetics depot"? But it really was a store, no window displays or anything, but definitely a private, commercial enterprise.

11 comments:

  1. Uhmmm ...you got me thinking about that huh?

    Nice blog … Keep it up.

    By the way, do you think Christianity is a cult?

    If you have an opinion on the subject, please do email me. Alternately, you may want to check it out at the forum

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean like Blue Oyster Cult? Man, they rock! "Come on baby... Don't fear the Reaper... Baby take my hand... Don't fear the Reaper"

    Sorry. What was the question?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just "stumbled" upon it, eh? How appropriate...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking of nonsequiturs, that reminds me of a joke:

    Two drums and a cymbal fall off a cliff.

    [pause... pause... pause... pause]

    Ba-doom-cha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's more of an auditory joke. And your really need a band to do it right. Does it make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:06 PM

    I'm so happy that you have these thoughts. it gives me great pleasure to read your musings and i always learn very interesting bits of yumminess. you are a genius , in my book, and hope y ou continue to grant the general pop. the key to the door of your wonderful world. gracias amigo. butros butros golly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perhaps my imagination is a tad bit overactive.

    When I read your joke, I saw your little cartoon sketch of yourself doing the Ba-doom-cha (he might have had a mustache. I don't know).

    I laughed out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh, Mr. Golly. Thanks for the kind words. I likewise, have always admired your work for the U.N. (too bad about that whole Rwandan genocide). And don't worry. There's plenty more nonsense to come.

    And Traci, if the world was a perfect place I would certainly create precisely that animation (avec mustache) just for your amusement. Sadly, the world is imperfect, and I'm lazy, so don't hold your breath.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to be the subject of a stumble post.
    Nice site ya got here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi my name is jhon when i was watching sienfeild he used the phrase Butros Butros Golly so did you on this site i have tried to figure out what it means but cant can you please tell me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Jhon. I fear it's the spelling that's giving you trouble. Check out what the Wikipedia has to say about Boutros Boutros-Ghali.

    ReplyDelete