Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Happy Birthday, Annou!

It's my darling aunt's birthday today. I won't say which one (a lady never tells), but I will say it's a major one. Happy Birthday!

I tell you what, nothing says "party" like evacuating your devastated city and not being able to return for weeks or months. Whoo hoo! Well, at least we're alive and not on a roof.

I'm too tired, frazzled, and stupid right now to say more. We're fine. We're figuring out our next steps. Onward and upward.

I will simply say that most people are fundamentally decent and good. Disasters bring out the best in everyone, and we're deeply grateful for the concern and help of all the kind people we've dealt with.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:21 PM

    Anonymous or not, my thoughts are very much with you and your family. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be horrible not knowing if you have a home, but you and your family are safe. I hope you have a place where you and your family can find a little normalcy. New Orleans must be one of the worst places in the world to be right now, and I'm glad to you had the wherewithal to get out. We'll keep a good thought for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:10 PM

    David, I'm so glad to know that ya'll are okay. got an email from hilary saying ana and crew are in perdido. are you/fly. going to virginia? -take care, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting from exile. It keeps up one's engagement in the situation.

    A friend of ours arrived in NOLA by car on Saturday, to take his eldest to Tulane for her sophomore year. Long story short, they flew home from Houston this evening, having been in a hotel in the Quarter. For days, I hadn't called, hoping that no new was good news. But reading about emergency transfers on Brendan Loy's site changed my mind, and I heard the story. Elisabeth's mom is thinking of something much closet to home - say, Fordham.

    ReplyDelete