Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Just the Facts, Ma'am

A brief logistical update:

We are in Memphis for another night. Tomorrow dear Annou will fly on to Virginia to stay with my folks (she doesn't need to be slogging around the Deep South for weeks on end). Our friend Maysey's family has been incredibly kind, offering use of their vacation home on Perdido Bay in Alabama for the next month (it was far enough east to avoid any substantial damage - it even has power!). We will be heading their tomorrow and meeting up with other refugee friends (Ana, Zack, Miranda, and Phillip).

We will be comfortable there (actually it's incredibly lovely), and it's a little over three hours east of New Orleans, so if they do start letting people back into the city any time in the next month, I will be able to get into town to assess our situation.

I just did the most Road Warrior thing I've ever done in my life. I filled up a pallet of gasoline cans to take with us because we've been hearing reports of gas scarcities further south. Now I've got to install the crossbow turret in the back of the car to shoot any biker punks that might try to steal it.

Until next time...

4 comments:

  1. Hey Mad Max.

    So so glad that you all have somewhere comfortable and lovely to stay.

    And may I just echo the sentiment of thanks for updating in the midst of chaos. I've yet to hear from one of my good friends from NO...

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's good to hear that you have a private place to go to for awhile (and it's a lot closer to your home than our mountain place is). hope you can avoid any feeding frenzies (gas, groceries, etc.)...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great news!

    I don't mean about the crossbow turret.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, how exciting!

    If the crossbow turret doesn't work, you can try chaining any malefactors to a wrecked vehicle that's about to explode then slowly walk away and don't turn even turn around as it blows up in a giant orange fireball, slightly ruffling your mullet.

    Drive safe.

    ReplyDelete