Thursday, August 11, 2005

Pop Quiz #4: The "It Takes All Sorts" Edition

Time for another one. This man frequents my coffeeshop.



I will tell you three things about him. He:

  1. Is African-American.
  2. Is a police officer.
  3. Listens to a style of music one might not expect (I know this because he blasts it loudly from his vehicle).
I will now ask you to guess the following.
What is the unexpected style of music he listens to?
And so it won't be absolutely impossible, I'll make it multiple choice. Is it:
a) Polka
b) Eighties glam-metal.
c) Jam band: Phish, Dave Matthews, etc.
d) Country & Western
e) European techno.
Place your vote.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:28 PM

    Gotta go with GLAM!!! w00t!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going with European Techno. Although, the odds seem pretty good on C&W when factor in favor of the horse patrol officers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Billy4:40 PM

    No question, JAM BAND.

    This is something that would catch Dave's eye given his rabid hatred of jam bands. I can see it clearly, as he walked out the coffee shop, saying to himself "Damn, is that black cop really listening to fucking Phish?" Techno would not have raised any eyebrows, neither would glam rock. It would be too simple if it was country western - too, "Damn, I didn't know the black people like country." We have all heard Charlie Pride (or have we: http://www.charleypride.com/biography.html).
    Polka is a red herring. There is NO WAY it was polka.

    JAM BAND. It couldn't have happened any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going with polka. And not just because it's the only choice not yet taken.

    Actually, I'd like it to be polka, but I'm afraid it might just be C&W.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm also going with jam band. And not just because I'm a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh polka of course.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I commend billy for his analysis, which is quite persuasive--but I am looking at the man's face, and it is such a pleasant face, open, relaxed and friendly...I think that if I saw him and thought, "how odd it is that he listens to that," the most likely candidate on the list would be Euro-techno. It's the music I least associate with relaxation and friendliness.

    ReplyDelete