Sunday, September 04, 2005

Additional Notes

I have not had the time or energy to devote to the political aspects of this crisis. I will only say that I am deeply gratified to hear the outrage expressed by those in a position to do so. Mainstream media is candidly talking about the factors of race and poverty that fed this crisis. This is extraordinary. I only wish it hadn't taken an event of this magnitude to make it so. And it brings me great joy to hear Mayor Nagin bluntly announce his fury. Keep it up. Give them hell.

5 comments:

  1. Because I am incapable of dealing with my perrsonal response to all of this, I am attempting to think of it on a purely political level (especially when I saw a satellite photo with about a third of my roof missing). In my mind, this is the biggest opportunity in generations for progressives to articulate a vision of a more humane society where government provides meaningful tools of citizenry to its people. Think Jacob Reis, Walker Evans, Upton Sinclair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Billy. There is a silver lining to this cloud, if only it can be grasped with humane intelligence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you and your family are well. My heart goes out to your city.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. And agreed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tom and I sent a letter to our paper today expressing our outrage and,also, have been in touch with one of our senators so we are there with you.

    ReplyDelete