Tuesday, October 04, 2005

The Road to Recovery

I'm still in New Orleans. There's so much to do, and I will probably be here the remainder of the week.

I arrived in the area Monday night, a week ago, and entered the city for the first time last Wednesday. My immediate response was joy at being home and seeing it, not on CNN but with my own eyes. It's beaten down. It smells terrible. Large swaths are devastated, blasted out, and empty. But over all it's slowly coming back to life, and that's good to see.

I also saw my house for the first time on Wednesday. It's wretched. I had braced myself to be overwhelmed at the shock of seeing it firsthand, but that actually didn't happen. I had been warned in detail what to expect, and it was actually slightly better than I imagined. Despite everything, being there felt good.

I've been in New Orleans full time since Friday, staying with friends. It's a very strange place to be right now, a large American city with a sliver of its population, occupied by the National Guard. The flooded areas are uninhabited, although during the day there is scattered activity as residents and businesses begin cleaning up.

The areas that didn't flood are recovering more quickly, although there is still a very long way to go. People living there, not many people, but some. A handful of businesses have opened: a drugstore, a couple of restaurants. In practice, the bars are exempt from the curfew and are leading the way for economic recovery. The few that are open are packed every night until well into the evening.

My first few days were spent assessing the state of the house, making phone calls, tarping the roof, and just trying to get a handle on the situation. Now I've settled into the slow grind of picking through our stuff, seeing what can be saved and throwing away the rest. It's sad, filthy, lonely, awful work. I'll be glad when it's over, and the next step can begin.

There's plenty to more to report, but that's enough for the moment. I now have internet access and hope to post more regularly. Until we meet again...

4 comments:

  1. So good to hear from you! Please post as often as you can - you're writing history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of courage and luck. My dad is returning to the city on Monday to begin working at The Times-Pic again. He'll be staying in the French Quarter in an apartment that belongs to the friend of a friend. Seems like a lot of that is going on and it makes me happy to hear that people are helping one another out in whatever way they can. If you make it down to the Quarter, could you check on Kaboom Books for me and visit the owners Dee and John?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear an update. Sounds like a dirty job, but someone.. well, you have to do it. Good luck, and remember to come up to the surface now and again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:09 PM

    My good thought to you and your family. I loved NOLA when I was there a couple years back, I sure wish you all well.

    neat that your moleskine is relatively unharmed, perhaps there is a book you should write
    -blarneyb

    ReplyDelete