Tuesday, December 20, 2005

"Honey, I'm Off to the..."

I was recently chatting with an acquaintance who, like me, has been displaced from her regular office and is currently making the coffee shop her workaday home away from home. She has come up with two very clever terms for this arrangement:
a) the "coffice"

b) the "offee shop"
I like them both very much. The problem is that I can only adopt one as my standard for everyday, conversational usage,* and I can't decide. Which do you prefer?

I should mention that, on Fridays, she sometimes likes to go the "bar-fice" at the wi-fi enabled tavern down the block.**

* The lack of proper terminology really has been an issue. When I say I'm going to work, people laugh. But if I say I'm going to work "at the coffee shop" they get confused and think I'm making lattes.

** This sounds like a good idea. My only concern is that one might be tempted to "work" too hard at the "bar-fice" and end up "barfing".

5 comments:

  1. kphiker10:23 PM

    i like 'the offee shop'. to me, 'coffice' sounds like someone is sick. and barfice is hysterical! haha haha haha ... way to be cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda12:19 AM

    Uh-oh, I gotta start a fight. "Coffice" is obviously better than "offee shop." "Offee shop" is easier to mis-hear, and then you're just wasting your wit. Say "Sorry, I gotta be gettin' to the coffice," out loud in a slightly nasal tone, and I think you'll see how right I am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote for "offee shop" because "coffice" sounds too much like "coffin." And when you say "offee shop" you sound more like Oye from the Dark Tower series.

    So maybe "coffice" IS a better choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:54 AM

    I like coffice, too.
    I agree with the too-easy to mis-hear thing, plus I'd be too tempted to speak the next two sentences in pig-latin...

    (too pig-latiney)

    ReplyDelete
  5. have you ever been coughin' at the coffice while having a coffee?

    (i like them both, too. offee has a nice ring to it, because it's like you're saying, "bye, hunny, i'm offee!" coffice sounds refined.)

    ReplyDelete