Friday, January 13, 2006

"Who Got Da Baby?"

Last night we had our first king cake of the season (Carnival officially kicked off a week ago on Twelfth Night). Louise got the baby (well, actually it was a fancy king cake from the French bakery and had a cool, little ceramic owl instead). She was very pleased.

Some people have argued there should be no Mardi Gras this year, but I'm here right now to tell you that's crazy talk. We need it more than ever, and I, for one, hope it's the weirdest, best Mardi Gras ever.

3 comments:

  1. You bet yer bootie, baby. Gotta have de Mah-di Gras! Bands! Bands! Bands! Swirly skirts and glitter suits and clickity boots, BATONS!

    Shake it!
    Shake it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh. king cake. YUMMMMMY. What is this French Bakery?

    ReplyDelete
  3. La Boulangerie up on Magazine up from Napoleon (right by my favorite divebar, The Brothers Three, and just up from Tee Eva's pies). Their king cakes are quite tasty though decidedly different from our local variety. I'm still hankering for my first purple, green, and gold, cream-cheese-filled, plastic-babied, gooey confection. Unfortunately all of my regular sources are flooded out, and I'm not quite sure where to go for a good one.

    ReplyDelete