Thursday, March 30, 2006

"Dude, I'm Going to the Prom with Swallow!"

Once again, happy "Anecdotes-That-Don't-Really-Go-Anywhere Thursday". This is from a while back:

As I was sitting outside a certain Uptown coffee shop, I eavesdropped on the conversation of a nearby table. It was a couple in their late twenties and their friend, all very much of the Uptown set. The couple had recently had a baby girl named Sparrow who was currently at home with the nanny.

As they were chatting another well-known Uptown lady (I'll call her "Frenchy") pulled up to the stop light. She rolled down the window and called out, "Congratulations! So is it 'Madison' or 'Swallow'?"

The indignant mother shrieked back, "It's 'Sparrow', not 'Swallow'!"

The father guffawed, "Yeah, imagine, 'Dude, I'm going to the prom with Swallow!'"

Frenchy, who was clearly well within earshot, acted like she couldn't hear them, smiled, waved, and sped away as soon as the light turned green.

4 comments:

  1. iced coffee: $2.50
    rinky dink bagel: 90 cents
    inane, yet typical yuppie uptown conversation: priceless

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enlighten me. Does "I.C.K." signify anything other than "ick"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:57 AM

    Idiots conceiving kids?

    ReplyDelete