Thursday, March 09, 2006

Goodnight, France

June is fond of lullabyes at bedtime, frequently requesting such perennial favorites as Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star. The other night she repeatedly demanded a certain song. For the longest time, I couldn't understand what she was saying but eventually understood that she was definitely saying "Goodnight, France." I explained to her that I don't know any song named Goodnight, France, but she insisted. Finally, I was left with no choice but to make one up on the spot. It went something like:
Goodnight, France.
How I love thee,
With your glorious pastries
And your wonderful cheese.
Oh, goodnight, France...
Now it's become a favorite, demanded each night. The words are always in flux (I can never remember them), but the satisfaction is always the same.

5 comments:

  1. I can only guess that this baby we have here will ask of me many similar things in the coming years: tonight, while jogging from the dining room to the living room to the front room through the little bedroom and into the dining room again to soothe some fussiness (the baby's, not mine) I made up some new, Theodore-centric lyrics for "Children of the Heavenly Father."
    "Hmm hmm hmm hmm" and "Dah dah dah dah" made up a good percentage of them. Infants don't make too many demands on the vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You simply have to make an illustrated book of the song "Goodnight, France!" I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm... Not a bad idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. heh -- when i first read it, it said 'glorious pasties'...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, those too, but that's an entirely different song.

    ReplyDelete