Friday, April 21, 2006

Challaballies

June likes strawberries. She really, really likes strawberries. But she doesn't say "strawberries" very well. It comes out sounding precisely like "challaballies."* Because I am a cruel and heartless parent, I torment her:
June: Wan' mo' challaballies.
Me: You want more challaballies?
June: Wan' mo' chal-la-bal-lies.
Me: You want more chal-la-bal-lies?
June: Mo' chal-la-bal-lies
Me: More chal-la-bal-lies?
June: Mo' chal-la-bal-lies!
Me: More strawberries?
June: Yezz! [she smiles]
I'm going to hell.

* I do find it interesting that although she quite clearly says "challaballies", she can't recognize it when she hears it.

2 comments:

  1. Teresa11:16 AM

    I'm under the impression that they CAN understand that they are saying it wrong, but lack the physical fluency to say it correctly. That's really what they are learning at this age, I think. In the same way that they are learning the muscle control to write with a crayon and throw a ball. What I find interesting is that they will repeat the entire phrase back to us, even though we are only asking about one word of it. Do you notice that? There's something about parsing sentences going on there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In this particularly case, though, she clearly didn't recognize what I was saying as "strawberries" even though I was precisely mimicking her own pronunciation. If she could say more (but still couldn't pronounce "strawberries") she would have said something along the lines of, "I don't know what these frikkin' 'challaballies' are that you're talking about, but I do know that I want some challaballies, and you're really starting to tick me off."

    ReplyDelete