Thursday, April 20, 2006

My, Don't "Dou" Say the Funniest Things

Many years ago, at my grandfather's funeral, a number of us were sitting around in the little coffee room at the funeral parlor. The conversation was quiet, mournful, and sedate. Then my darling great-aunt, Doucette, piped up in her loud old-Creole-lady voice:
"When I die, I don't want a whole lot of fuss. You can tell them, just put my casket by the side of the highway. Then everyone can drive by and say, 'My, don't Dou look natural.'"
Everybody laughed very, very hard (which was, of course, the point). The tension was broken. The conversation picked up. People launched into animated reminiscences. It was just right.

Ask and ye shall receive.

2 comments:

  1. It was just right!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Americans love conspiracy theories.
    Great pics.

    ReplyDelete