Tuesday, May 30, 2006

What I'm Drinking: White Wine Spritzers

There is another beverage I'd like to add to our pantheon of warm weather faves: the white wine spritzer. Now, I know what you're thinking, "Mr. Lala, isn't that a girlie drink?" This is a common misconception, so let me set the record straight. White wine spritzers are not girlie. They're Euro (there's a distinction, if a subtle one). And they're delicious.

Fill a tall glass with ice, pour two-thirds full of dry white wine, top off with soda water, squeeze in a wedge of lemon or lime, daintily extend your pinky, and sip away. You'll love it. I promise.

8 comments:

  1. Yes. Not ladyish, not ladyish at all.
    I suppose collecting demitasses is also, ahem, Euro...
    Where will it all end? With people being judged by the content of their character? Jeez.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a must in honor of my big 2-1 next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, congrats on your first legal drunkery, and best birthday wishes more generally!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please emphasize that all the ingredients must be cold. Very cold. Otherwise, you're Euro.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:03 AM

    wats wrong in been EURO!? bloody U.S.A carnt think where to start on what's wrong with u guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, watch it, buddy. Don't make me invade you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm working on a story about sangrias, wine coolers and wine spritzers =
    for the Chicago Tribune and laughed out loud at your posting re: =
    spritzers being, um, Euro.
    My question is...are there places you wouldn't order a spritzer? why do =
    you think spritzers work so well in the heat?
    Is sangria Euro? Are coolers trash?
    I hope you'll reply, although I would need your real name and locale =
    (I'm assuming NOLA) in order to quote you....and i'd like to quote that =
    line from your blog too.
    are you in the drink industry? a journalist? a what?
    please let me know,
    Bill

    Bill Daley
    Food and Wine Reporter
    Chicago Tribune
    435 N. Michigan Ave.
    Chicago, IL 60611
    312-222-3141
    fax: 312-755-0212
    wdaley@tribune.com

    ReplyDelete