Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Segways? What's Up With That?

Segways? What's up with that? I confess, when I first read about the Segway, my inner-dork tingled with excitement. "Finally, harnessing the power of the gyroscope for the common good!" But it never really went anywhere, and I think I know why. The handful of times I've actually seen them, they're invariably being driven by some attention-starved ├╝ber-dork giddily awaiting the moment when someone asks him "What's that?" so he can launch into his twenty minute dork-spiel, endlessly enumerating the merits and technological underpinnings of his overpriced toy. Who wants to be that guy?

2 comments:

  1. One of the insults I'm most proud of delivering: I was on a walk with my then 18-month old son when a man on a segway ostentatiously maneuvered past us. My son was startled and interested. "Look," I said in earshot, "a big-boy stroller!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's up with this?
    http://www.boingboing.net/2006/06/29/movie_opening_who_ki.html

    ReplyDelete