Thursday, June 08, 2006

What I'm Drinking: La Michelada

Our weekend in Austin introduced me to a new drink to add to our bevy of warm-weather beverages: the Michelada. I'd never heard of it before, and I should warn you, it's a weird drink, probably not for everyone, but I'm besmitten.

Line the rim of a tall glass with salt (spread the salt on a small plate; moisten the lip of the glass; gently dip the rim in the salt). Fill the glass with ice. Squeeze in the juice of 1 lemon. Add several vigorous dashes of hot sauce (the exact quantity is your preference, but I'm finding a like quite a few dashes). Fill the glass with the Mexican beer of your choice and sip away.*

Enjoy the cooling beads of sweat as they form on your brow.

* I think one of the reasons I'm so enamored of this drink is that the flavor combination reminds me of eating raw oysters. All that's missing are the Saltines, horseradish, and, well... raw oysters.

5 comments:

  1. One year, for carnival, we decided to go through the entire Mr. Boston cocktail recipe book. Everybody that came by had to have a new drink, which we then highlighted.

    One I had was called something like a "prairie fire": tabasco and tequila. The scary thing was, we began to like them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you add lime?
    Or do you just stick with the hot sauce and salt?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been using lemon, but I imagine lime would be pretty darn good aswell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:33 PM

    Most restaurants, bars, etc., around Austin & San Antonio that serve micheladas use lime rather than lemon. Try it with some Louisiana Hot Sauce for something a little different.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been using Tabasco which is quite lovely.

    ReplyDelete