Monday, July 17, 2006

Weather Band

Does anyone else ever listen to weather band radio?* The computerized, never-wavering voice incanting buoy readings, water temperatures, and wind speeds, occasionally interrupted by some sleepy-sounding weather-crat with a thick yat accent announcing tide heights at the Rigolets or the Southwest Pass - I find it strangely engaging, hypnotic almost.

* After our recent experiences in Winnie, we decided we needed an evacuation-mobile that wasn't 10+ years old so we finally bit the bullet and bought a new car, a Subaru. Of course, since Subaru-drivers are all extreme and shite, it comes with weather band radio.

5 comments:

  1. I have weather band, but all I hear on it is Menudo's "Me Huele a Soledad". Strange, isn't it? I'll have to get it checked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to wish you bona fortuna on your new Subaru. My Grandmother threw salt under the place mats of any new auto that I bought or my parents bought for me. Weirdly, I never saw her do the same for autos that my parents bought. Maybe she knew I have a lead foot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So when I get bored with NPR I can listen to weather band radio, can I? The things I didn't know!! And I am glad to know we are extreme and shite! I guess that is good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. picture of the new 'ru, please...

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, i go through spells of listening to it, and anything else that seems hyper-local. all the geography is so anti-modern that it's irresistable. here is the water temperature in some obscure location you needed to grow up here to know about. et cetera. here is the cloud ceiling over [insert a place]. nighttime AM radio is the same way, but on a larger scale.

    ReplyDelete