Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Halcyon Days

When I look at photographs from before the storm, pictures of our house with our stuff and our children living in it, pictures of our neighborhood with green lawns and people, pictures of our city showing the way life was then, it all seems so long ago, like some long-lost era.

I had a similar feeling the other day when I was looking at New Orleans in Google Maps. I pulled up the satellite pictures and zoomed in and realized they're all from before the storm. You can make out a remarkable level of detail: well kept yards; intact houses; streets full of cars; a living, vital Lower 9th; Lakeview; our neighborhood. It's easy to forget that things once looked like that, and seeing it again gave me a touch of the chills.

3 comments:

  1. OMG - that is a chilling thought (the out of date maps.)

    A few weeks ago I brought my car in for repairs and was given a loaner far nice than anything I will ever be able to afford, which included some kind of built-in GPS map system. Though it got all of the street names right, the computer's attempts to tell me the names of gas stations, restaurants, etc. were several years out of date.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Francine3:05 PM

    I did the same thing - wanting to see what the 9th ward looked like from google earth - only to realize it was the Old Orleans. I want the new material and think we should start an email campaign to google earth to get them to update the info. But I'd also like the old data, that's presently available, archived and even layered with the new data. mmmmm..... maps on maps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, comparing the before and after in Google sattelite pics would be fascinating.

    ReplyDelete