Thursday, September 21, 2006

Marching In

As previously mentioned, I don't give a damn about sports, at least not sports qua sports.* But oh, Lord, I'm rooting for the Saints - on behalf of all the people in this city who do care. And I would love it if they won this coming Monday,** their first game back in our poor old Superdome. We actually intend to watch the game, a truly momentous occasion.

Cooler weather, no hurricanes, and a winning Saints season - is that too much to ask? It would do wonders for the mood of this town.

* Johnny-baiting.

** One of my favorite things about Louise's school are the morning meetings. At the start of each day, the teachers and students congregate in front of the school for announcements and the like. Parents are welcome to stick around, and many do because the meetings are so thoroughly entertaining. The highlight is when Mr. Hughes, the music teacher, picks up his guitar and plays the song of the day. They range from "You Are My Sunshine" to old New Orleans R&B classics to "They All Asked for You" to the school theme song. On Rock 'n Roll Friday he busts out the electric. Kids get up and dance. And when the Saints win, the next day he plays "When the Saints Go Marching In." He's played it twice so far. I'd love it if next Tuesday was the third. (I think because of these meetings, even Louise has taken a sudden interest in football and will suddenly exclaim things like "Go Saints!", a surprising shift from her normal picking-flowers-and-chasing-butterflies temperament.)

5 comments:

  1. "Gooooooo Saints"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant.

    Too bad I don't have mace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe Louise is like her Rennie who likes to pick flowers, watch butterflies and--likes football. It's a good combo!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. natalie1:01 PM

    wow... I'm an ex-Lusherite myself! Morning meeting was the best. Do they still have Project Pride?

    ReplyDelete