Tuesday, October 31, 2006



This is our jack-o-lantern, carved with an abundance of seasonal zeal by the gals and myself early in the month. Or more precisely, this was our jack-o-lantern. Our climate isn't kind to carved vegetables. I've seen the balmy temperatures and thick humidity reduce more than one noble pumpkin to a gooey orange puddle long before Halloween arrived. Many don't make it beyond a week. This one served admirably for the better part of two, but when it slowly began to collapse and the inside developed a thick coat of furry mold bearing an unpleasant resemblance to our house after the storm, we decided its time had come. It seemed like the right thing to do.

2 comments:

  1. Even here in the chilly Northeast, I never ever carve a jack-o-lantern until the day before Halloween. Those hollow squashes are muy perishable. It makes me sad to see the hopeful jack-o-lanterns placed on front steps and porches in early October. Doomed to never see 10/31, they are. Except maybe as mulch. (Cute pumpkin, though. My, what big eyes you have!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we were very imprudent. Again, I can only blame the abundance of seasonal zeal.

    ReplyDelete