Thursday, November 16, 2006

Celebrities, Where Y'at?

I imagine some of you are familiar with Gawker Stalker, the feature (and original raison d'être) of the Gawker website. They post sightings of various celebrities sent in by readers which generally go something like "Saw Matthew and Sarah Jessica canoodling at the bagel shop on Wuzza Wuzza St. and Nth Ave. Damn they're short." or "I nearly walked into Angelina Jolie as she was leaving Le Bistro Hot Cha Cha. Her lips are terrifying in person."

Now that's all well and good if you're a member of the coastal cultural elite, but what about the rest of us? What about us provincials who aren't so amply blessed with fabulous and vapid people? Let me tell you something, Mr. Big Apple and Lil Miss La La Land. We've got celebrities too. Sure, they may be a little uglier. Perhaps their teeth aren't so white. They might have bad hair. But they're ours, and we're proud of them.

So why don't we have our own Gawker Stalker, our own litle slice of the celebrity-spotting pie. We'll give it some sort of cheesy name like Big Easy Big Shots or Celebrities, Where Y'at? and do the same thing with our local luminaries: "Saw Angela Hill in the frozen foods aisle at Dorignac's buying Lean Cuisines," or "I saw what's-his-name, the good-looking young weatherman my grandma has a crush on (and I don't have the heart to tell her he's gay), on the treadmill at the gym."

I once saw Frankie of Frankie and Johnnie's "talk to the special man" fame* walking through Dillard's at the Lakeside Shopping Center dressed head-to-toe in black with his fly wide open. I so-o-o-o totally would have posted that.

* You have to follow that link. It's been years since I saw one of those.

10 comments:

  1. let em have it. five piece chicken box. oohhhh yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilary7:31 AM

    Bless his "special" heart.

    Obviously I cannot play because I'm in Boston (where they relly do put Ben Affleck blowing his nose on the news, as well as whatever that redhead from Desperate Housewives does when in town)
    But I did get on a plane with Angela Hill once.
    Her earrings are terrifying in person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love local commercials - thanks for sharing that link. And furniture and fried chicken? It's brilliant in its simplicity, isn't it??

    Your post comes at an advantageous time for me, having just had my own brush with reality show quasi-celebrity earlier in the week...
    (And yeah, I so totally posted about it...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shannon12:57 PM

    The Special Man!!!!! He changed my life. I think of that commercial weekly. I am always answering people in the special man voice,"Let em have it" and I get nothing but blank stares then I explain it only to get blank stares. I will now spend the rest of the day sending the video to everyone who doubted. Thanks Slim for the gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. shannon1:03 PM

    I realize my whole last comment doesn't make sense because this video isn't the original special man. The original or at I assume he was the original had that awesome froggy y'at who gives a fuck delivery. Picture Scatman Crothers, Supafly, and O'Neill all wrapped into one delicious white leisure suit. mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sophie3:00 PM

    Months ago, I saw Chris Rose doing the author photo shoot for his book. He was standing in the rubble of the Anderson-DaBella market, at the corner where Magazine becomes Leake.

    I found it terribly fitting that for all the shrieking he does about the devastation in the Lower 9th, Lakeview, Gentilly and the East, he chose to take the picture in front of the most conveniently-located rubble-- one of the only buildings in uptown that collapsed-- which was down the street from where he lives.

    I also saw Al Copeland leaving federal court last summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually the morning meetings at Louise's school are a veritable Celebrities, Where Y'at? bonanza. Chris Rose, Mitch Landrieu, Delfeayo (I think) Marsalis, the "cute" one from the Imagination Movers (thus sprach the mamas), and probably a couple of others I'm forgetting are all frequent attendees.

    And, Shannon, I understood you. I looked to see if there were any older F&J ads. No luck, but I was still damn pleased to see the one I found. And the Chicken Box cross-marketing really is a nice touch. Home of the Thousand Piece!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Days after the storm, somebody (darned if I can remember who exactly) captured Frankie in a cellphone pic at our neighborhood Super Target. Total celebrity spotting potential for my husband and I! Needless to say, nobody we related the happy news to got nearly as excited as we did.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous4:39 PM

    Since there's so much love:

    http://www.wyes.org/Assets/Images/LocalProd/StayTuned%20Pictures/Special%20Man.jpg

    =a photo at least, of the Special Man
    Lester Love Jr., who passed on in 2001 (Born Aug. 19, 1919, in Tylertown, Miss., Love moved to New Orleans in 1962. He spent several years in car sales, selling a Cadillac to Elvis Presley in the mid-1960s).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Man, we're really tapping into some deep running sentiment here. And Red, I actually stumbled across that photo while looking for an appropriate Frankie and Johnnie link.

    ReplyDelete