Monday, January 29, 2007

Absurd and Abhorrent

As a vaguely Ludditic and undeniably snobbish aesthete, I find those Bluetooth-cellphone-ear-thingies absurd and abhorrent. Yes, yes, I'm sure they're quite practical; I'm sure they improve driver safety and save lives and enhance one's stock portfolio and all that good stuff, but really, they're so damn ugly. (Personally, I'm holding out for the implantable phone-chip—much more tasteful.)

There's a guy I see around. He wears one. And it's not just any old ear-thingy: it's the biggest, most ridiculous, wrapping-all-the-way-over-the-top-of-the-ear-and-back-down-around, sticking-way-the-hell-out ear-thingy you can imagine. He wears it all the time. He's kind of a scrawny, geeky guy to begin with, and it dwarfs him. It makes him look for all the world like a surly, trench-coat-wearing Borg.

I saw him recently. He was, of course, wearing the thingy. His phone rang. He reached into his pocket, opened his phone, and held it up to his ear......

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:26 PM

    One's gotta be cool or so one thinks!

    ReplyDelete