Thursday, February 22, 2007

Battle Royale: Squelch-A-Thon 2007

It's that time again. Are you ready? Who dares face the mighty "squelch"? Are you word enough? The nominations are in, and it's a crowded field:
  • squelch
  • rictus
  • bossanova
  • crabby
  • naughty
  • knickers
  • lunch
  • marplot
  • higler
  • fuzzier
  • troika
  • lambast
  • squeamish
  • jejune
  • stupendous
  • taint
  • kerfuffle
  • Garth
  • delicious
There's many a fine word, but at the end of the day only one will stand victorious.* Who will it be? Gird your belt. Grit your teeth. Place your vote. It's going to be a bloodbath.

Let's get ready to rummmblllllllllle!

* Of course, the rest are winners too—everybody's a winner!—just in more loser-ish ways.

14 comments:

  1. of these, I am most charmed by "jejune." since I can't vote "slimbolala," I vote "jejune."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote "rabble"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Troika?

    Troika.

    Troika!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh - I'm torn... loving jejune and troika. But I'm going to have to go out on a limb and go with:

    kerfuffle

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like bossanova, but conviction wins out. I'm going with "delicious."

    Written, it looks a little drab, my nominee. Spoken is when all its dazzle gets unleashed. This is like a full page spread in Variety, isn't it. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I vote for marplot. I don't know what it means but it seems like a nice word, so why not

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, I'm having a tough time this round. I'm bouncing back and forth between "crabby" and "fuzzier". Don't know why. Just am. Or "bossanova". "Lambast"? Damn!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, "knickers"--"knickers"? Damn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Second to my nomination, my other vote would be crabby.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this is tough!

    If 'rummmblllllllllle!' were on the list it would be that, absolutely.

    But I'll stick with squelch?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I still stand by squelch.

    Squelch.

    Squelch.

    jejune? SQUELCH.

    ReplyDelete
  12. squelch squelch
    jejune jejune
    squelch squelch
    jejune jejune

    somebody get me a sampler, I got a beat for a song that's gonna make millions.

    ReplyDelete
  13. holy crap, I never thought this would happen, but I think "squelch" just got me.

    maybe it's typing the word? this word possesses a diabolical magnetism, esp. when repeated. I would not be surprised to see it crush the competition, yet again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am afraid to type this word that hypnotizes so many.
    Clearly it harbors some evil force.

    I fear that it does what it means, and means what it does. Shudder.

    ReplyDelete