- Randomly rotate between a small set of neutral interjections: "mm-hmm", "yep", "that's for sure", "wow", "huh".
- Laugh when he smiles.
- Shake your head when he frowns.
- Raise your eyebrows when you're not sure.
- Periodically say "Well…" and glance at your computer in hopes that things might wrap up soon because it's going on twenty minutes and old Muppets skits are running through your head and you're not sure how much longer you can maintain this fragile ruse and you might start laughing at that funny thing those chicken puppets are doing and your co-worker might think you're laughing at him and that would be bad.
* Good guy. Very friendly. But my comprehension rate, honestly, is in the low double digits. And it didn't help that this was during yesterday's Still-Phlegmy Wish-It-Was-Still-Hooky Tuesday and I was slack-jaw-stupid and having a hard enough time understanding the monosyllabic utterances of my own dim brain.