Friday, May 25, 2007

Friday Slang Sling

In what's becoming something of a regular feature, here's my recent slang round-up:
"like the red-headed stepdaughter" – An outcast. (That's a weird one. Google revealed several possible back-stories but nothing conclusive. All the possible back-stories were also kind of weird.)

"sewed up like Betsy Ross" – Squared away. Done did. (I love this one.)

"crawfish" – The verb form meaning to "back out of". (I assume this is a reference to the way a threatened crawfish will skedaddle backwards out of trouble.) As in, "This guy crawfished on me. I've got to get a replacement."
That's my list. What've you got?

5 comments:

  1. Teresa10:03 PM

    I used to use the expression "like a redheaded stepchild", but now I have a friend who IS a red headed stepchild and her husband told me once "don't let her hear you say that". Soooo, I'm careful with that one.
    I'm also fond of "In like Flynn", although I don't use it nearly enough.
    I think you made up the crawfish one.
    By the way, good seeing you at the Greek Fest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Penelope_CA12:13 AM

    "cool beans" = very good

    FFS = for f*ck's sake (picked up from my Northern Irish boy and said as "EFF EFF ESS!!" when cant swear)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really am a redheaded stepchild, but I'm not offended by the expression. Actually, I use it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Southern Italian folklore looks at a red headed woman as someone evil.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:15 PM

    I like "eating high on the hog" meaning eating really fine!

    ReplyDelete