- My entrenched, Virginia-bred politeness makes it difficult for me to overtly blow people off. Freaks sense this.
- I kind of like freaks. Freaks also sense this. (Freaks may be freaky, but they're generally also pretty smart and are often remarkably astute at detecting where there freakishness will be well received or at least tolerated).
I'm all better now. My robust arsenal of freak-deflection techniques includes:
- Careful management of eye contact
- The polite but non-committal "hmm..."
- Pressing engagements elsewhere
- Fabricated cell-phone calls
- Feigned deafness
* to perverted squirrels