Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Honking, Dodging, Weaving

This afternoon, as I darted between the erratically swerving cars along the narrow twisting lanes of S. Broad, I thought to myself, I'd make a good cabbie. I could easily imagine myself nimbly navigating the traffic tumult of some large city, sussing out the best route, knowing all the secret tricks and short cuts, honking, dodging, weaving.

I would make a good trucker too. I'm perfectly happy driving long distances without a break, and I never give up the driver's seat during road trips. My mother is the same way. My uncle actually was a trucker, and though he's now retired, he sometimes drives the trucks that haul the NASCAR cars just for the sheer love of it.

What would you be, if you were other than what you are?

10 comments:

  1. Pizza cook! The ovens, the pizza peel, dozens of edible circular canvases to lay out toppings on... heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. bricklayer. I have this bizarre love for the sound bricks make as they slide on each other: a soft, musical clink.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a pizza cook for a bit. My favorite part was tossing the dough: lofting it upwards in a hovering disk, catching it again with a gentle swoosh as it descends.

    (I've never been a bricklayer, but I don't think I share J's brick-fetish.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A tenor saxophonist and clarinetist or a bookie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peanut saleswoman. Oh wait, wrong question!

    If I can pick talents, jazz singer. If I can't, I'd be a charmingly tuneless bluegrass singer ala Sara Carter. Either that or a spy. Or spy with a Sara Carter cover?

    ReplyDelete
  6. joshua2:06 PM

    i think truck driver would be good for me, too. go everywhere, drive, listen to the radio.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Teresa7:02 PM

    (actor OR philanthropist) NOT (actor AND philanthropist)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would want to be one of those guys with the pointy stick picker-upper thing taking trash off the sidewalk or public areas. Removing litter is deeply satisfying and somewhat meditative to me. Not only do you get the satisfaction of having it look tidier when you're done, you also might find interesting things on the ground. Perpetual treasure hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would be a fine artist rather than a designer. I would be poor, but probably a lot happier. Cool blog musings you've got here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. a painter with an old house and studio in northern denmark, with a view of the sea out of my windows. the colors of a winter sea are incredible, in a way. I still wonder if it isn't too late for art school.

    ReplyDelete