Monday, August 06, 2007

House-A-Day: We Don't Need No Water



There have been a lot of fires since the storm.* I'm not sure exactly why, but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with tens of thousands of vacant houses with screwed up wiring and utilities, a whole bunch of messed up infrastructure, and an overstretched fire department.**

This house burnt a few weeks back.

* Sometimes the houses are completely abandoned, but the saddest cases are when the owners were rebuilding or had recently returned home only to have it all taken away again.

** And maybe the odd handful of dissatisfied claimants looking for a more favorable insurance settlement, though that's pure speculation.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:10 AM

    Hi. I haven’t stopped by in a while, and I don’t think I’ve ever left a comment before. I first started reading your blog from the comparative safety of my home in Michigan when you were posting photos of flooded houses with signs and graffiti painted on them during your bicycle rides. It must have been after your Oct. 15, 2005, entry, because I just found that one today when I scrolled back to your July 30, 2007, entry and clicked on “shite-hole.”

    I love your blog, because it makes me feel lots of emotions, but mostly the optimism and humor of your indomitable spirit. Through your eyes I am witnessing the incredible metamorphosis of New Orleans as it pulls itself up by its bootstraps. I've never visited your city, but am learning to love it, thanks to you. Your new “House A Day” series is very uplifting. I’ve grown to expect that you will update even the somber entries, like this one, with good news.

    Thanks, too, for endearing snippets of your family life.

    Keep on rocking!

    - Carol
    Comstock Park, Michigan
    (Sorry, but I don't have a blog of my own.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:31 PM

    You're very welcome.

    - Carol

    ReplyDelete