Thursday, August 16, 2007

Words I'm Liking: "Fop"

I like:
fop
n.
A man who is preoccupied with and often vain about his clothes and manners; a dandy
I like it for two reasons:
  1. Good meaning. I'm all for folks looking sharp, but everything is best in moderation. And there's always that guy who doesn't seem to know when to leave well enough alone and gets the too-too jeans and the too-too shoes and the too-too shirt and a whole lotta accessorizin' and crosses the line from looking sharp into vainglorious preening peacockery.
  2. It sounds hilarious (in a way that perfectly suits what it describes). Fop. Fop. Fop-fop.
Fop.

3 comments:

  1. "Fop" then is over the top. I never knew that, Dr. Slim. Agree with you on too much of this and that. You have to know your limits. I like to dress decently, but know when I shouldn't wear something, like faux fur in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and "foppish" is a fantastic adjective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Dandy" is one of my faves too. It's great that fop and dandy are interdefinable!

    ReplyDelete