Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Stuff I'm Liking: The Balfa Brothers

I'm adoring the Balfa Brothers,* old-school Cajun music at it's best. I don't know much about them; I just know they deliver magnificent, doleful harmonies, wailing fiddles, and thumping rhythms** that make me shudder with plaintive delight. Raw*** and glorious.

* Thanks, Zack (our dear, displaced Cajun).

** Leave it to the Cajuns to take a reputedly simpy instrument like the triangle and make it completely bad-ass.

*** I love a lot of old American music. I dislike many contemporary reinterpretations of old American music. They so frequently comes out all soft and mellifluous. But it's precisely the gutbucket ka-chang ka-chang of the old stuff that makes it so great. Soft mellifluity be damned!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:24 PM

    That is a really cool article about the Balfa Brothers. Thanks! You should check out Balfa Toujours. It's Deweys daughters band. Carrying on the tradition. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:53 PM

    the very best music ive ever heard
    thanks dewey and the brothers and the dad.
    from uk listener.
    truly endearing music,listen to it.

    ReplyDelete