Thursday, October 25, 2007

It's a Bird! It's... a Different Kind of Bird! No... I'm Pretty Sure It's the First Kind of Bird!

Help, is there an ornithologist in the house?

I thought I saw a bald eagle yesterday. Then I thought, "Do we have bald eagles around here?" Then I thought, "That really looks like a bald eagle." The facts:
  • It was a large bird of prey.
  • It was swooping around over Pontchartrain Beach (making me wonder if it was, instead, some water-faring thing—an osprey?)
  • It had a dark torso and wings.
  • Though I saw it from a distance, I could see the white head and (notably) the pure white tail. (I don't think ospreys have that pure-thing going on.)
  • My bird book indicates that bald eagles do sometimes find their way down to the Gulf Coast.
Hmm... I don't know, but I'm going with bald eagle. It makes a better story.

8 comments:

  1. I have a fail-safe bald eagle test. While watching the bird, did this song come to mind?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubjgisuitDw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bald Eagles east mostly fish so swooping around the lake makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was probably a bald eagle. There was one photographed not too long ago around the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen any eagles around Sugar Hill, but last week a Snowy Egret was in our courtyard with me as I was taking measurements for the next part of repairing our home.

    Sorta detached it was, but me going about my business didn't seem to spook the bird. (I did warn the bird that all of our catz will be moving back in soon.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, now that I know I'm not crazy, I'll go ahead and say it: I saw a bald eagle. Whew, that feels good. (And damn! Zena; I'd heard about it but never seen the entirety. Damn!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:47 PM

    If the head was white white, then an eagle. If not, then a white-tailed hawk - not as uncommon.

    But methinks you have seen an eagle. Wow.

    Saw the video, Zena.
    It made my eagle sore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both head and tail: white white.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:53 AM

    double white = double wow

    ReplyDelete