Tuesday, October 02, 2007

"[Pause]... [Pause]... So..."

These days, whenever I call a customer service number, it eventually seems to arrive at a moment like this:
"I'm updating your record now... [pause]... [pause]... It takes a minute... [pause]... [pause]... So, how are things in New Orleans these days?"
It's a familiar routine now, and I launch straight into my slow-but-getting-there-and-some-parts-are-still-a-mess-but-other-parts-are-doing-well-and-oh-you-were-thinking-of-visiting-well-come-on-down spiel.

That's the way you've got to do it, I say—spread the word one perky lady in a headset at a time. For as the old proverb tells us, "He who speaks truth to the customer service representative speaks truth to the world."

And if the International Customer Service Association holds their next convention here, you can thank me for that.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:22 PM

    Emma Nutt, wrestling teenage boys, and gangly long arms: some telephone operator history trivia here.

    ReplyDelete