Monday, November 26, 2007

Benefit for Bob

On the night of Nov. 3, my friend and former co-worker* Bob Strong was robbed and shot in the face on St. Charles Ave. He survived but has been hospitalized in serious condition and will require extensive reconstructive surgery. Previously, I've chosen not speak of it here. (It's just too awful. How anyone can do this to anybody, I don't know, but how anyone could do this to Bob—it's just inconceivable.) But now there's a way we can help.

This Sunday, December 2, from 3 to 8 pm, La Crêpe Nanou is hosting a fundraiser. The street in front of the restaurant (the 1400 block of Prytania) will be blocked off. Other local businesses will be participating:
Dick and Jenny's
Cafe Degas
Kyoto
St. James Cheese Company
The Kingpin
The Wineseller
La Provence
and others...
There will be live music:
Alex Chilton
The String Beans
David Doucet (from Beausoleil)
Susan Cowsill
and a silent auction.

Tickets are $30 and can be purchased at Crêpe Nanou or the Wine Seller (and probably from the other participating businesses, as well).

* We worked countless nights together behind the bar at Crêpe Nanou; he taught me much of what I know about how to make a drink; and he's one of the sweetest, funniest people I've had the luck to cross paths with.

3 comments:

  1. I am sorry. I remember meeting him. He did seem like such a nice person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:00 PM

    Jesus.
    I am so sorry for your friend, Strong...but as well, for this sorrow you and his friends must share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. craic-head11:57 PM

    "Life is mostly froth and bubble.
    Two things stand like stone:
    Kindness in another's trouble,
    Courage in your own."
    - Adam Lindsay Gordon

    ReplyDelete