Friday, November 16, 2007

Really, Not Threatening at All

So I met Ian MacKaye last night. It's funny meeting someone who was a central figure in my sixteen-year-old world—an emblematic but impossibly remote** voicing of my own teen angst. But now we've all got a couple of decades on us, and he's just a wry, genial friend-of-a-friend in a cold-ass warehouse in Mid-City.

* I was way into Minor Threat during my aforementioned punk phase. "Can't keep up! Can't keep up! Can't keep up! Out... of... step... with the world!"

** Impossibly remote to me anyway. I was the lone outpost of East Coast hardcore in the sleepy vales of Possum Holler.

7 comments:

  1. Man, I am really jealous. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one thing I regret about my punk past is never having the cojones to go for a mohawk. That's pretty much an impossibility now. And don't get any smart ideas about drawing a balding guy with a mohawk, either...

    FWIW, Nowe Miasto is polish for "new town" or "new city". In many old Euro cities, the old fortified by a wall part is the "old town", and the part built in the 1500s or whatever is the "new town".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, forgot to ask.

    You offer to buy him a beer? Cigar?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would have been difficult. 'Twas a booze/tobacco/meat/dairy-free cold-ass warehouse in Mid-City.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Geez...doesn't anybody get straight edge humor anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got it. I was just running with it. (Or at least I thought I was.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am really jealous as well - Black Flag and Minor Threat were in heavy rotation in my yut, as the folks here in Philly prononce it.

    I always wanted to dye my hair shocking pink, or cobalt blue.

    Can't now. Perhaps once i make partner.

    ReplyDelete