Saturday, December 15, 2007

Slim Couture

Isn't the primary purpose of a blog to grouse about things? My grousing-quotient feels a bit low, so...

You know what I don't like? I don't like when clothing stores/catalogs change around their lineup every damned season and year. If I like the simple brown zip-up sweater I bought two years ago, but now I've worn the bejeezus out of it,* and it's got holes in the elbows, I want to to go back and buy the same sweater to replace it. But they no longer sell that sweater because that was Fall 2005, and they were working a minimalist-mod look with an earth-tone palette, and this is Fall 2007, and they're working eighties-throwback with vivid-neon, and the only zip-up sweater is fuchsia with leather shoulder pads and diagonal pockets.

I want my own personal clothing line. The palette would remain constant: black, brown, grey, and navy; a bit of white; some judicious dispensations of orange, red, green, yellow, and muted grey-aqua or crisp sky blue. (What else do you need?) There would be no epaulets or rhinestones or spangles or logos or pleats or arbitrary zippers or asymmetrical plackets or doodads of froo-fra of any sort. Everything would be plain and straight and simple and well-made and close-fitted and just as viable ten years from now as it is today. And the shelves would always be stocked with plenty of mid-charcoal grey socks.

Can somebody make that happen for me?

Grouse accomplit!

* Those who know me in the non-virtual world will know I tend to wear the bejeezus out of things.

5 comments:

  1. But then there wouldn't be room for a Nudie Suit if you don't have any rhinestones...

    ReplyDelete
  2. mothgirl8:38 AM

    A clothing line! THAT'S your next career. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time to put some pressure on CafePress

    ReplyDelete
  4. craic-head1:18 PM

    I don't know, Slimbo...there's always room for error...the couture designer for the guy in this video supposedly aimed for no shaping, colors, or pockets - and look what happened.

    He might have been better off in a fuchsia sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh maaan! I got just the thing! A subscription to the LL Bean catalogue!!!

    ReplyDelete