Thursday, January 24, 2008

"NACKER 99"

There's a sign I drive by every day. It says:
"NACKER 99"
It's in front of the flooded-out KFC on S. Claiborne, and it probably used to say something sensible(ish) like "SNACKER 99¢", but Katrina took the "S" and the "¢", and since August 25, 2005 it has mutely proclaimed its cryptic message.*

I have a vague (and ridiculous) desire to put it on a t-shirt. Only about three people in the whole wide world would get it,** but they would really get it: "Oh my God! I drive by that every day, and I always think what the hell is it, and are they ever going to take it down, and...!"

Nacker 99... Nacker 99... Nacker 99... It's hypnotic.

* There's plenty others like it: church signs announcing services that never happened, boarded up gas stations with never-changing prices...

** That's an optimistic estimate.

3 comments:

  1. Well, count me as one of the three...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any other takers? Going... going... Alright, I revise my estimate to one. Ashley, if I ever make the shirt (which I wont), you get one for free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn, too late. But for the record, I think it would make a great Katrina-punk band name.

    ReplyDelete