Sunday, February 17, 2008

Rat Tales

We've spoken before of strange rat-spectacles* and their potential as omens. Yesterday, as the girls and I walked Penny around the block, we came upon a rat. It ignored us; its full concentration was set upon its tail, which it chased with great persistence.

We stood and stared. Penny pulled her leash taught. It spun and spun and spun. We watched for a minute. It stopped, started, and spun some more. Finally, we went on our way. It spun and spun and spun and spun...

What ungodly foreboding is that? I can only assume the Apocalypse is nigh.

* How do you say that in German?

5 comments:

  1. I suppose Ratteschauspiel would work - in German it's acceptable to invent new compound words.

    At first when you said rat-spectacles, I thought Rattenbrillen, as in rat-eyeglasses...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the German style of inventing new compound words. English doesn't have the same facility, but I approximate it with my hyphen-laden-multi-word-pileups. (How do you say that in German?)

    And I like the idea of rat-spectacles in the second sense. What exactly would Rattenbrillen look like?

    ReplyDelete
  3. craic-head12:42 PM

    Sir Slimbo, you've done been did Rattenbrillen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, indeed I have. (Though I was alternately imagining spectacles actually made of rats. I'm not clear how that work, but I'm pretty sure could tie their tales together as a little string-thing and hang your rat-spectacles around your neck librarian-style when you weren't using them.)

    ReplyDelete