Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Name Game*

Okay, here's the game:

I post a character from my sketchbook. You propose a name for him or her. By some arbitrary, reality-show-like process (involving monkeys, Posh Spice, Charo, and reader-voting), we arrive at a winner. The winner of each round gains Slimbo-Points, accumulating—with luck—towards a (yet-to-be-determined) Super-Slimbo-Prize.

Or something like that. Like what about this guy?



What's his name?**

* Jack, Jack, bo-back, Banana-fana fo-fack, Fee-fi-mo-mack, Jack! (The complete set of all possible Name Game songs is defined by the string expression: X, X, bo-b(X−1), Banana-fana fo-f(X−1), Fee-fi-mo-m(X−1), X! where X is any name. Do with this information as you see fit.)

** Points are awarded for gumption, cheek, alliteration, and "right-ness".

13 comments:

  1. garth2:25 AM

    jimmy chenton

    ReplyDelete
  2. clive clive bo-five
    banana-fana-fo-five
    fee-fi-mo-mive

    ReplyDelete
  3. Derrick.


    (Or maybe I should offer up the word verification that I'm supposed to enter to submit this post. What do you think about: JJ Bimlus )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgets the last "Clive", sorry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tracy. (I once knew a very manly man named Tracy. His sister once went by the name Gracy, but everyone called her Lacy, which seemed just a little more racy, and that's why he named his son Clive.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like me. You need some condition included in your name game formula to capture songs when "the first two letters are ever the same", at least if you want the "complete set."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:30 PM

    Barry Schmelly.

    Would Matt care to clarify or propose an addendum to complete the set?

    ReplyDelete
  8. i screwed up...again
    clive clive bo-flive
    banana-fana-fo-flive
    fee-fi-mlive
    clive

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, I'd have to say that his name is Ratt Caswell--our own Caswell's long-lost, ill-fated twin brother.

    ReplyDelete
  10. also need another rule for the name game to handle names that begin with vowels, e.g.

    (X-1), X ~= {a, e, i, o, u}

    or something.

    Sorry to be pedantic; I'm in a programming class right now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pedantry is welcome. I confess, I actually just stole the thing from Wikipedia, fixed it up a bit for some of their more obvious errors, and let it be. But if we can arrive at a rigorous, definitive expression for the name game song, then I will consider life's work complete, and I can happily spend the rest of my days drinking cheap beer on our porch.

    ReplyDelete