Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Mr. O Chronicles: Miscellaneous Ruminations

A loose assortment of percolating cogitations:
  • One of the things I find very appealing about teaching is that I can weave in any and all of my multivarious, over-plentiful interests: Math? Sure, that's a gimme. Drawing? Absolutely. Spice up the lesson with some visuals. Photography? Certainly. Somehow. Music? Certainly. Somehow. (And I can definitely lean on on my band-fronting showmanship skills. I suspect hamming it up in front of a group of middle-schoolers is a lot like hamming it up in front of a bunch of drunken bar flies. Middle-schoolers—drunken bar flies—emotional, erratic, loud, and easily distractible. Not a problem.)
  • I just started getting my room together. It's a work in progress, to be sure, but the vision is gelling. Green liner paper, little blue wavy trim, yellow headings and sayings. Some plants. Lots of good geeky math-y teacher-y wall-stuff. (I made my first trek to the teacher-store today.) It's going to be sharp! (I'll post a picture when it's done.)
  • I'm going to teach a Lego robotics elective. Dork-a-licious!
  • It seems I'll be teaching 5th and 6th grade math, not 6th and 7th, the consequence of roiling tumbling enrollment numbers. This job is undeniably an exercise in flexibility. Good thing I do all that yoga.
  • As the pieces fall into place, I find myself becoming more confident and excited.
  • I can't wait to meet these kids.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:54 PM

    I reckon those kids are in for a good year of learning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marco7:19 AM

    Don't forget poor Joe. He could provide lots avenues of learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. craic-head9:51 PM

    I had a teacher one year who used to rotate vocabulary words, quotes, jokes, riddles, and hand-drawn cartoons (that sometimes had us students as the characters portrayed...oh my) - all in the upper left hand corner of the chalkboard with a line around it and the initials DNE (do not erase). He also would ask us occasionally if we had heard of any good jokes. Fun.

    Whatever you weave in, Slimbo - I'm sure it'll make coming to math class something to look forward to.

    (And, hey!...NOLA's schools (well, charter schools) were mentioned on NPR today. Interesting that half the schools are charter schools. Huh.)

    ReplyDelete