Monday, August 18, 2008

Welcome to Mr. Olivier's Math Class.

I promised you pictures—you get pictures. (I never break a promise. Unless I do. Because sometimes life is life. O bla di.)

You may recall the "before"—a diamond in the rough. This is the after (completed earlier today):


"Welcome..." (Notice the meticulous punctuation. I don't fool around.)


From the front door.


From the back left (the teacher's-desk-vantage).


From the back right.


It actually looks like a real classroom, huh? I didn't know what the hell I was doing when I started, but I'm pleased with the results. Note the plants, the consistently maintained color schemes, the thematically grouped posters and snappy inspirational sayings. (All that die-cutting and laminating really paid off.)

So it's now the wee hours. The post is posted. The outfit is laid. The hair is did. The shoes are shined. The lunch is packed. The lesson is planned. The alarm is set. I'm feeling pretty good. Wish me luck. Onward and upward.

p.s. Apparently the New York Times magazine has a really good article on the radical transformation of New Orleans schools—"the most ambitious education laboratory of our time". My booty has been so busy getting burned on the Bunsen burners of the aforementioned laboratory, I haven't actually had time to read it yet, but perhaps I'll do so tonight as I drift off to sleep, gaining courage and fortitude for the fraught adventures ahead.

p.p.s. Everywhere I went today, as I purchased little last minute doo-dads, I found myself wandering the aisles with other teacher newbies, as they diligently studied their shopping lists and made earnest phone calls for guidance.

p.p.p.s See that nice looking white board? It's actually just some sort of inexpensive shower board that a fellow teacher bought at Home Depot, cut down to size, and bolted on top of the dismal blackboard underneath. Necessity is the mother of invention.

7 comments:

  1. mothgirl12:10 PM

    Now THAT is exciting. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wrren2:47 PM

    Your room looks great. The kids can not help but be imspired to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems I need to go back to a basic spelling class and learn how to spell my name!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowsas! What an amazing decorating job! Dr. King is a great person to quote!

    I have a little tip about that "white board": I, too, did the Home Depot fake white board thing, and found that you absolutely need to keep that baby clean! Wash it every night. Otherwise, it gets shadows of former lessons on it, which are really difficult to wash off if you wait too long.

    Oh, and teacher lounge conversations are a mine field. Watch out!

    Sorry. This is a long comment.
    I'm very excited for you. I eagerly await to read of your progress.

    If it gets too stressful, just laminate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the sign!! Even I feel welcomed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. excellent lay out. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi. I am a Middle School Math Teacher and I created a NCTM recognized free online math games site: HoodaMath.com

    ReplyDelete