Monday, August 18, 2008

Whew!

I survived Day 1. I'd even go so far as to say that it went pretty well—no fights, no catastrophes, no full-blown pandemonium. We even managed to stay (roughly) on task and (sort of) learn something.

Middle schoolers are a trip, like popcorn kernels. They can't sit still. While one end of the room is focused on a question, the other is devolving into a minor riot. While one student is answering a question, a dozen others are bouncing out of their seats, arms straining for the ceiling, overwhelmed with urgency to say their piece. It requires constant vigilance, keeping the class from erupting into giddy thunderous chatter. But I love them. They're so fun and lively and frank and interested. (Though some had warned me against the age, I decided to follow my gut–those are the kids for me–and I think I was right.)

I'm exhausted–I feel like I could sleep for a week. But tomorrow's a new day. Onward and upward.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the next most serious thing to crossing the Equator. Maybe more serious. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the startup pix and reports are great!
    All the best !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. robin austin5:21 PM

    Congratulations! I hope the energy and enthusiasm never wane. Lucky kids!

    Memories from teaching middle school:
    1. never raise your voice, I learned the hard way
    2. schedule in successes for each student every day
    3. a sense of humor with the kids goes a long way
    4. sometimes a loud classroom is a good classroom
    5. teach to all the learning styles... find out what your own are here: http://www.engr.ncsu.edu/learningstyles/ilsweb.html

    ReplyDelete