Friday, September 12, 2008

Others! Like Me!

My student was fussing at me because I wouldn't let her drink juice in class. "I'm mad at you," she said. "You wouldn't let me drink my pickle juice."*

Pickle juice, did you say?

I thought I was alone, a solitary pickle juice drinker** in a salty vinegary wilderness. But there's another. And maybe more...

I polled the class and, much to my surprise and delight (and amusement), found that over half of the fifth-grade girls identify themselves as pickle juice drinkers. ("Pickle juice is goo-ood!") Over half. Two thirds, even (which is to say: four sixths, six ninths, 66.66%, four-hundred and fifty-four six-hundred and eighty-oneths, 0.6666666666...). I never imagined my transition to teaching would be a straight trip to Pickle Land.

I've finally found my people.

* Though I'm quite fond of a good p.j. swig myself, I marvel at the extremity of actually packing a container of it, bringing it to school, and surreptitiously slurping it during class.

** I like olive juice too. Any other olive juice drinkers out there?

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:34 PM

    Hey Slim...check it out:

    http://bobspicklepops.com/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we've bonded over the pickle juice thing...white lips and tongue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This discussion is not helping my hangover stomach, not one bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:02 AM

    total p.j. and o.j. drinker here. probiotics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. your mother-in-law9:25 AM

    my son sam especially likes caperjuice. hpw about you? (sam is your brother-in-law by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, caper juice is pretty serious. Even I don't take it to that level. But maybe I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum. I love pickle juice. Especially from homemade pickles.

    I saw a bumper sticker that reminded me of you: "Teach Like Your Hair's On Fire."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Francine10:12 PM

    You talked me into it. I took a little swig today after the shrimp po'boy. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:45 PM

    Slimbo, come back! We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe you should teach them how to make Koolickles. They're crazy about them up in the Delta.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/09/dining/09kool.html

    ReplyDelete