Thursday, September 25, 2008

Sock Hoppin'

So we've got the random and untimely photos covered. How 'bout some random and sort-of-timely-ish snippets from school-land. (The great tragedy is that my days are supremely full of the panoply of life in all its forms, good and ugly, but it all flies by so fast, I barely have time to notice, much less transform it into wry, pithy little posts. But as I promised, I'll do better.)

One of the recent highlights was last Friday night's "sock hop" which I chaperoned. It was simultaneously adorable, awkward, hilarious, and outrageous:
Adorable: Seeing the students all dressed up in their fanciest finest, trying on their turning-into-adults personas, was so very sweet.

Awkward: I forgot how awkward kids can be at that age. It took them forever to get dancing. Finally the girls cut loose (dancing with each other, of course). The boys never got past a couple of half-hearted foot shuffles. (This includes some of the same boys who can't stop wiggling and dancing during the day while I'm trying to teach them math.)

Hilarious:
Can you guess what the favorite concession was? Pickles. Dished out of a massive plastic five-gallon bucket.*

Outrageous: In many regards, it reminded me of the adorable, awkward, hilarious middle-school dances I attended in my own youth. But there was one notable difference. They most certainly did not booty-shake like that at my school—four-foot-tall ten-year-olds doing staggering, physics-defying oscillations. Mon dieu!
Whoop, there it is.

* Did I tell you about the day all my fifth-grade girls came in from recess with wet compresses on their eyes because of of some pickle-juice-explosion salt-and-vinegar-in-the-eyes incident on the schoolyard?

4 comments:

  1. is that true?

    the pickle juice part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was it really called a sock hop? I have not heard that term for a dance since I was in high school and that was a few years ago!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it was really called a "sock hop". Though I also tend to think of that as an old-fashioned phrases, it still gets used with some regularity around town. Far-flung correspondents, what's its frequency of usage in your neck of the woods?

    ReplyDelete