Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Easy Peasy


Yeah, I'm not sure why his ears are so big. It's gestural, baby, gestural. ("Gestural"—sounds weird. Is it really a word? The Google says "yes". But still—sounds weird: gestural, gestural, gestural...)

I remember, when I lived in England as a boy, going over to a friend's house after school. His father was sitting in a great recliner in the shag-carpeted living room eating dinner-or-supper-or-tea-or-some-such in front of the TV. The meal consisted of a rather charmless looking piece of meat and some rather over-boiled looking peas. (Most of my encounters with British cuisine were less than dazzling, though there were exceptions.) What was notable about the spectacle was the way he ate his peas. I watched with great curiosity/confusion as he methodically smashed them against the flat of his knife with his fork, then slid the pea-mash down his gullet.*

Huh. Is that a thing? Is it a British thing? Is it a British-dad-who-eat-dinner-or-some-such-in-front-of-the-TV-in-his-shag-carpeted-living-room thing? Or was he just a rogue pea-masher, carrying on his lone pursuit in plushly carpeted solitude?

Far flung Slimbologists, bring me data points!

* Perhaps we should start a series, Idiosyncratic Eating Habits of the Not Particularly Rich or Famous.

3 comments:

  1. I can only report that my brother's only (so far as I know) brush with the performing arts was singing the following song at an elementary school assembly:

    "I eat my peas with honey,
    I've done it all my life.
    It does taste kind of funny,
    but it keeps them on the knife".

    My brother had a mass of curly blond hair and glasses, and he sang it in a high-pitched, silly voice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. craic-head10:06 AM

    There's a scene from Elisabeth Gaskell's 19th century book Cranford, whereby a Mr. Holbrook (of wealthy means) serves a dinner of duck and peas, with the cutlery only being a knife and large 2-pronged fork. His guests try to stab the peas one at a time, and amazedly watch him shovel the peas onto the side of his knife and then into his mouth. Oh! How unmannerly.

    What's the story with spoons in Britain? Where have they been when the peas needed them most?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have nothing to add except that I think that's awesome.

    ReplyDelete