Saturday, February 21, 2009


Portraits of inanimate objects: calculator. Among my many weird (and/or boring) temp jobs while living in New York in the mid-Nineties, I spent a number of weeks at Woolworth Corporation headquarters (shortly after the closure of their flagship stores). While the the rest of the world had harnessed the digital wizardy of Excel to maintain their financial records, Woolworth still counted money the old-fashioned way: with a calculator and a pencil and green-tinged ledger paper and lots of hand-cramps. I spent days and days clickety-clacking on a machine much like this one, working countless pencils down to a nub.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely picture! I applied for a job at Woolworth's once, at about the same time you worked for them, and I failed their personality test.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think this explains their demise? I miss Woolworth's. This drawing would make a great t-shirt.

    ReplyDelete