Thursday, February 05, 2009

TTAEFFTPDTBPAFAAT

I would like to identify a category of things: Things That Are Extremely Fun For The Person Doing Them But Profoundly Annoying For Anyone Around Them, or TTAEFFTPDTBPAFAAT for short. For example:
the BeatMaker app on my beloved iPhone*
It truly is a wondrous thing, a full-featured drum machine that fits in my pocket (and rings when somebody's calling me), allowing me, with a kick, snare, kicks and high hat, to become skilled in the trade of that old boom bap.

But apparently it's not quite so enchanting to anyone forced to listen to my beat-noodling—namely my wife and daughters. (I can't imagine what would be annoying about listening to someone else's half-baked beats looping ad infinitum...)

Let's get Venn-y with it:
Throw something in the circle. What do you have/do that is extremely fun for you but profoundly annoying for anyone around you?

* I have more than a few hobbies and habits that fall into this category, part of my Beat-Dead-Horse-itis.

8 comments:

  1. Banjo practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marco7:02 AM

    Does your phone have a Joe and the beat box guy app? Electron? What is his name? More coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Joe and Quintron app? I'll have to use my special powers of geekery to whip one up. And yes, always more coffee.

    And banjo practice used to be one of mine as well (like I said, I have more than a few) until someone stole my banjo from our flooded house after the storm. (There must be a special level in hell for banjo thiefs—a particularly twangy, annoying level of hell.) But my subsequent acquisitions of accordion and beat maker have stepped in to fill the void, allowing me to achieve previously unimagined new levels of annoyance. Polka-hop in da houuuuse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like a tripped switch, I sing certain songs dedicated to events in life that remind me of particulAR refrains or lines in said songs.

    Billy's pointed out that certain events occur over and over so that he can expect to hear the same songs over and over.

    I take after my dad in this way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes I'll be mindlessly humming a song to myself, and then I'll realize the lyrics of the song have some very explicit concrete connection to the current circumstances. The brain is a funny thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Often, like when Ana is listening to some music, I will verbally simulate the sounds of roto-toms or high pitched bongos. Because I am a drummer, the percussive interjections are always in time. Because I do it often, Ana does not like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It would seem that music in general and percussion in particular account for substantial swaths of the TTAEFFTPDTBPAFAAT-zone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3:16 PM

    I'll give you the crown jewel of TTAEFFTPDTBPAFAAT: Mardi Gras call-outs.

    ReplyDelete