Sunday, April 05, 2009


Cheetos car. You might think this car is sponsored by the finger-staining orange snack treat. Not so. It's an example of a local custom car trend (is it just local? I'm actually not sure) in which the owners trick out their rides in the logos and stylings of a favored brand: Cheetos, Sprite... I recently saw one done up Nerds candy-style. It even had a two-tone paint job: pink on one half, grape on the other, just like the Nerds boxes. Hilarious. And strange. (Update: Apparently, I lied.) (Updated update: Apparently, I didn't lie. I looked for that article when I was writing this post, but the NOLA.com website is so heinously organized, it's almost impossible to find anything. But I'm glad to see it again; those videos are fascinating.)

7 comments:

  1. There was a car show of some sort on lower Jackson yesterday. It was HAWT. People kept stopping by Billy's car and tried to talk him into tricking it out....I think the 73 bright blue green BMW would really be an anomaly in that group!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What brand would be appropriate for a '73 bright blue green BMW? Mentos? I really don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:47 PM

    Are you sure they aren't sponsored by Cheetos? I used to see those cars driving down Claiborne sometimes...

    I've been to TWO car shows in the last month. Both accidentally. My favorite was at the Latino Rockabilly Festival - it was an old orange & white Cadillac with two matching custom leather upholstered car seats for an infant and toddler.

    Not as cool as the Nerds car, though.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's paid advertising. The car is owned by regular-Joe, but to support his car payment he accepts payments for his car to be used as a billboard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang, I want a branding deal. Who can I getbto be my sponsor?

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are not part of a sponsorship.
    I knew I remembered an article about it sometime...
    http://blog.nola.com/dougmaccash/2008/07/art_in_the_fast_lane.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. there are a couple of them here in columbia sc as well. A Reeses peanut butter cups car, and a Starbust car. One other too, that I can't remember.

    ReplyDelete