Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Loopty Croup

June has croup,* and we just gave her the one-time dose of steroids to knock it out. Our doctor warned us that the steroids will essentially act the same as speed, and I'm a little worried what a five-year-old on uppers is going to look like:
"Oh, man, I have so many great ideas. I think I'll alphabetize my book case. Alright... 'a', 'a', 'a', okay... Now the 'b's—'b', 'b'... What's next? Oh, we just learned this the other day... um-um-um... 'c'! Great! What's a 'c' look like? Damn, I wish I knew my alphabet. Alright, forget that. Finger painting! Cool. Okay, here we go. Here we go. Okay. Why am I painting with just one finger? That's so inefficient. If I used all ten fingers, I could paint ten times as fast! That's such a great idea! I'm thirsty. Where's my juicebox...?"**
Maybe we should have asked for some kiddy-Qualudes to balance things out.***

* A week ago, Louise had walking pneumonia. Good Lord. At least we managed to avoid the Pig Fever.

** Yes, I realize this has a notable thematic resemblance to a recent "Shouts & Murmurs". Let's just say it was in the ether.

*** Firmly planting June on the road to an uppers/downers/repeat Johnny-Cash-in-the-sixties style crack-up. She'll get all skinny and start missing concerts, and June Carter will have to rescue her, and... Oh, wait, that June/June thing get's confusing. Hmm...

1 comment:

  1. Junebug on speed! I don't know!!

    ReplyDelete