Monday, May 25, 2009

Telephone, Telegraph, Graph Paper, Bell Curve, Bell Jar, Sylvia Plath, Death!

Another from the "Overthunk Idears That Will Probably Go Nowhere" file:

Free association is a well known psychoanalytic tool. Telephone* is a well known party game. Let's blend them into a silly communal bloggy game used to while away the precious minutes of our lives.

It will go something like this:
  1. I will give the first word.
  2. The initial respondent will read it and then (free-associatively) write the first word that pops into his or her head in the comments section.
  3. The next respondent will read that word and then (free-associatively) write the first word that pops into his or her head in the comments section.
  4. And so on...
The shenanigans will continue until we grow bored or until we use up all the words in the English language, whichever comes first. We will then gasp in mutual horror at our collective psychosis.

And now we start with:
"monkey"**
Attaquons!***

* Until I'd read that Wikipedia entry, I'd never heard of its alternate names: Chinese Whispers or Arab Phone. (That last one sounds like it's going to get you placed on some Cheney-decreed black-ops watch list.) Had You?

** Would you expect me to choose anything else?

*** That's the phrase—if my memory hasn't gone all jumbley on me—that my grandfather would proclaim immediately after saying grace: "We attack!", more or less a Francophonic "Dig in!"

23 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:52 PM

    chatter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marco7:50 AM

    twitter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teresa11:07 AM

    facebook

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandy of Maine3:33 PM

    smuckers

    ReplyDelete
  5. pookie8:53 PM

    suckerscatio

    ReplyDelete
  6. pookie8:55 PM

    try again--suckers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Side note/not an actual entry: I'm deeply disappointed "suckerscatio" isn't an actual word. I was curious to see what somebody was going to do with that. (Maybe we can kick off with it next time. Are non-words permissible?)

    Play on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lollipop

    (Side note: My best friend and I play this all the time. We call it "word dominoes.")

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lil' Wayne

    (Can I play again even if I kcked it off?)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marco7:43 AM

    Drought 3

    ReplyDelete
  11. craic-head9:54 AM

    drafty

    ReplyDelete
  12. "wrench"1:34 PM

    daffy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marco2:42 PM

    5th Ave @18th St

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fifty-third and Third

    ReplyDelete
  15. Marco7:46 AM

    slide rule

    ReplyDelete
  16. Teresa1:20 PM

    my dad

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous9:08 PM

    pop

    ReplyDelete
  18. Marco9:05 AM

    goes 52nd St

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous1:56 PM

    53rd street

    ReplyDelete